April 10, 2019

no room here for me up there ........... #Glo/NaPoWriMo2019

'Participants', Lisa Yuskavage 


horded infidels ride rite whiting horses 
today is third week beginning 
spring in the Northern hemisphere 
under dapple skies and scented fingers 
of high minded rain, they rummage possibility 
left over from last night's front pushing through 
my dreams are spilling into poems again 
no gain to tract shun or some pact done 
to insure myself against myself 
so I write, mottling the words 
bottling any disambiguation 
and dragging myself 
covered in abstracts 
like a duffel bag 
disguised as a home 
how a heart lives ...

this vignette 
is covered 
in travel stickers 
and mountain 
into sand 
music ... 

a lone gull skims tidal entry and retreats 
eats of me what it can, my bi-valves up breathing 
I spit up myself, another piece of seaweed 
drawn circle down, elliptically ever closer 
then farther away from the shore 
until, upon tongue of land I land 
a storm perhaps skirts me towards, forwards 
where wear is a worn pattern in the thatch roofs 
the small houses on stilts a few hundred meters from the ocean 
and in the morning there are the sounds of chickens and a dog  
one morning the fates came to me, a proposal 
in their breast they held me, to become 
what they were so ... 

I wandered to a bank of pay phones down the lane 
remembering to call god and saying to myself 
before I dropped that dime 
yes, it is better to be me in hell than it is to serve 
those who ignore humanity, in heaven ... 


EJR ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there ...