April 3, 2016

an ode to the electric city from a trojan stopping in .................................... ( #NaPoWriMo2016 )






a spoke and knee rhetoric channel tv play, in two acts 
(first act:prayer I swear/second act:squeeze howl balloon instead of popping it)


to balance sugar use salt dear:


with every face 
Eve turns more 
towards her Lilith 
and Adam knows 
just to watch 
how they wield 
life and each other 
through every season 

sometimes 
being a man 
means being woven
with luck enough 
to become aware
even fleetingly 
of how sweet being 
caught in a woman's rain is 
and that these cycles and rituals 
we are daring to be drawn into
are houses to be built and razed 
as part of the steward/ship/s 
an ever evolving symphony 
with maestro smiles 
feeding tactile perceptions  
and a faith 
in intuition's 
base line 

-----------------------------

and this is once exposed:

comic antic ancillary scary 
vibrato terry cloth tight snap 
and you better be quick 
or the rhythmic slick 
will cut you thick to the bone

                   skin and flesh 
soul to sold penny arcade dime MAry tow two times stem cell 
  wet went to Peru initiation stages 

we carried provisions by ass 
up steep mountain sides  
switch back slow turns 
temperature fluctuating wildly 


      went out to ea
a wrought iron arch glass 
puebla tiled burning hearts 
palace with corner altar candles 
altering saints to slotted mother may eyes
in an old brick building next 
to the train station that was 
over my head outside 
describing this

inside I overheard 
an old fashioned ordered 
this was a margarita bar and taco joint 
and the kind and patient 
dark eyed vamp pipetted 
a now I'm caught 
a cherry absent face 

I could still look down 
at me but catch 
myself inside her shirt 
down a few slated salted rims 
if you know 
what I mean 

though that was pure fantasy 
the what if a poet slips in 
to induce a feeling 
interaction 
verbal infinities 
someday(s) and maybe(s) 
I and the certainty 
of wobble mood to Moon 
madness has always 
been my thing 
as is pursuit of joy 
though I understand 
the more higher orders 
of said jubilation is 
reaching for more than I do 
I'm honing my own 
stowaway sacrifice anyway 
so it is nice to pretend 
someone else like you 
knows how to wield my mirrors 
and change the weather 
or at least dance radio green apple step lively(s) 

dowager the street fanny 
shaved bricks curved along the curbs 
the trains overhead occasionally rumbled on south 
towards the Rensselaer/Albany rail station 
I could hear the conductor calling 
next stop in the poem...



EJR © 


3 comments:

  1. Man, I love this: "squeeze howl balloon instead of popping it" ... to me, this is about what we do to each other ... as people; we can squeeze each other's "howl balloons" without popping them. You know, we don't have to destroy each other to love each other or to like each other or work together, whatever the relationship(s) may be. That's just one possibility I see here, but I find this one especially noteworthy. Same thing for how we treat/raise our children. We can direct them without crushing their spirits.

    "Eve turns more" ... I like the touch of "smore(s)" in this.

    Very clever use of "raze." Obviously I love the notion of razing my own houses, if houses are identities and moods.

    "Base line." He he. That reminds me of Meghan Trainor.

    Oh wow, do I love this:
    "and this is once exposed:

    comic antic ancillary scary
    vibrato terry cloth tight snap
    and you better be quick
    or the rhythmic slick
    will cut you thick to the bone"

    on Peru ... "we want to purr-you" ... Yes, I think it IS an initiation stage.

    I like what that indentation draws out ... soul to sew, soul to s old, ... LD (learning disabilities), also close to LSD, which fits ... and then there's this girl named Penny, whom I went to school with ... arcade die/dye me, Ma; esteem cell/sell ... this is a prison of sorts, but it will also make you feel better about yourself than maybe you ever have before

    "we carried provisions by ass" ... hilarious transition

    "switch back slow turns" ... love this line

    "puebla" ... Another of my favorite words.

    I really like the way this sounds: "palace with corner altar candles
    altering saints to slotted mother may eyes" (I need you start recording, pretty please.)

    "inside I overheard" ... I like this; we should always be eavesdropping on what our insides are saying. Really, the outsides (even what our literal, auditory voices say ... they can be liars; so we really have to try to hear our true selves talking as often as we can stand to listen; it's scary in there, after all)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and the kind and patient
    dark eyed vamp pipetted
    a now I'm caught
    a cherry absent face
    I could still look down
    at me but catch
    myself inside her shirt " ... I like this section. I have this thought all the time, but I'm a girl, so it's different. I can say and do all kinds of things that come across as nonthreatening because I'm a "girl."

    "down a few slated salted rims" ... all those extra meanings in "rims" ... and yes, I do know what you mean. But I personally am really into glasses, so that's what I'm going to see here.

    "the what if a poet slips in
    to induce a feeling
    interaction
    verbal infinities" ... beautiful description of what it means to dig into someone's insides before they've even given you permission; this exactly your job as a poet ... and a man, really

    "wobble mood to Moon
    madness" ... this sounds *slightly* familiar ;)

    "of said jubilation is" ... of sad jub elation nice" ... now I want to know what a *jub* is ... surely it's something ... yup:

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jub

    "reaching for more than I do" ... This suddenly strikes me as reaching for *more* than marriage ... something even greater or beyond that sort of commitment and connection. I really like this; I didn't see it before.

    You didn't fix this: "so it[']s nice to pretend" ... but maybe you want it to be possessive instead; I didn't think you liked that, though ;)

    "someone else like you" ... reminds me of a great Adele song

    "knows how to wield my mirrors (my roars)
    and change the weather (we eat her)

    I crazy-love this line: "or at least dance radio green apple step lively(s)" ... the phrase "green apple" and of course the words "radio" and "step" get me all giddy-like

    "do/wager the street fanny" ... Yes Sir

    Awesome work. You have been explosive in your writing, even more so than usual! It must be all the April excitement ... the post-a-day thing, and the taste of spring in the air. Whatever it is, keep it coming.

    P.S. Hilario, sticking a condom in the title. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. we mustn't be silly have to wrap thy willy...low man south bound and again the orchestra pit is filled with those that didn't make the ark...so we listen to 'Bad Brains' and 'Burning Spear' instead...moshing the linguistics until we're sticky and no longer filled with dread...

    ReplyDelete