April 6, 2012

poem 119 of a poem a day for 2012 (NaPoWriMo7)


please go

no, she said that I didn't have to leave
she only said that I just couldn't stay here
I didn't grow up in this house
as she did, she had the memories of stain
already stored here to run with the rain
all I did was love my way in
an interloper with arms full of warm sin
with Italian poetry and a flair for cooking
and witchcraft at the sea

no she said that I didn't have to leave
she only said that I just couldn't stay here
in between where we used to love without pause
and what we have now run into endless
clouds on a treadmill, paying the bills
because the empty
between us never fills  
with what's been missing 
for some time now

no she said that I didn't have to leave
she only said that I just couldn't stay here
at the edge of constant failure to understand
the way ground rust gathers what we let go in silence
the dust blathers of inconsequential conversation
anything to fill all the spaces
vacated, because love doesn't live
here to clock walls to pour
more time between the comings
and goings out the door
turning round to peer
what can be found
when waving goodbye
just to say I did and do love you
and I ask threshold again
is this still part of forever
no, she said forever never leaves
but all the memories of you
are just poems on the surface of things
and they, as you, cannot stay here anymore

EJR ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there ...