June 19, 2012

poem 194 of a poem a day for 2012



lawn mowing the clouds


no
I'll just leave the clouds alone today
to break the fucking windows
just so I can feel the sharp
edge of a slow forever
grinding stones into my flesh
I am a wishing well blessed
here in our plutocracy
with my dirty minded hands full
of necrophilia subscriptions
and the inscriptions
the wind claws to the bones
I bury for the reign
of an always tomorrow sunshine
that sounds just like the promises
I keep telling myself
it’s okay when it’s not
hope here always prevails in silence
and hails the kind of empty
I drink from

no
I'll just leave the clouds alone today
so that I can hallucinate the bounties
even the mad ones in my head
or perhaps in the other parts of my soul
that would be better off red-lined
or at least a cave wall painted forgotten
I can be discovered long after
I have rotted past reclamation
and into songs that can be sung
to proclaim damnation as an easy sanctuary

no
I’ll just leave the clouds alone today
let them be harried hurried angels
against the cancerous right now
as I slip past the manicured
and manufactured gates
of what constitutes reality
or this plodded perspective
of a shared ignorant collective
that my post-industrial humanity
has become part of

no
I’ll just leave the clouds alone today
because I like being dumb
I like my magic mute button
and I like not knowing pain
and I like when it rains
little by little drop by drop
words pooling sticks
to prop things like ideas
I once held up high

no
I’ll just leave the clouds alone today
to make another poem stop
and to say fair thee well
and admit out loud
there is no Heaven worth having
without the treasures of Hell

EJR ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there ...